If there’s one thing millennials in business understand, it’s the importance of staying connected. Marketing students need to be aware of recent industry activity and have the most current trends at the forefront of their mind to make that great first impression. Here are 5 great apps to help kickstart your career in marketing and keep you connected to the latest news & trends!
1. Quartz: If you’re constantly on-the-run or simply want the highlights of each day in the corporate world, this new and highly personalized app is for you! Quartz enables you to decide which topics you want to follow, and then sends you the most exciting and relevant news related to these topics via text message. These messages are highly interactive and contain everything from daily updates and links to articles and fun videos. Every piece of content only lasts for a few minutes, so it’s the perfect way to stay connected with your busy schedule!
2. Pocket: We’ve all stumbled across an interesting article on Facebook or a funny video on YouTube that we promised we would come back to when we had some free time. If you’re anything like me, you know it can be nearly impossible to remember where you found the article’s link or video in the first place! Pocket is a great new app that allows you to save content from almost any website, social media platform, or email account in one place. This makes it easy for you to build a queue of pieces to come back to in your free time. Users also have the opportunity to share their favourite findings with friends on the app or via other social media platforms in a fun and interactive way.
3. The Economist: As a marketer, you also need to consider the big picture by covering all the business bases in order to make effective decisions under pressure. Start your mornings off by reading an article from one of the world’s most well-known business magazines, The Economist. This app features pieces written from an international perspective pertaining to a variety of industries such as finance, economics, science, current affairs, technology and the arts; making it a must-read for all young business leaders. The app also has an audio feature, so you can listen to articles on the go!
4. Marketing Magazine: Staying on top of marketing news can be difficult when you’re balancing a full course load during the year or working full-time at your summer internship. The Marketing Magazine app is a great way to get notifications directly to your phone about all things marketing. Covering countless topics in the industry, this app features everything from interactive videos to career listings, and is sure to help you stay up-to-date with the most recent campaigns in the country.
5. TED: Along with staying up to date with industry news and current trends, it’s important for marketing students to develop qualities such as leadership and communication skills to help them excel in the business world. If reading is not your thing, consider looking for an engaging speaker to captivate your attention, keep you informed about the current business world, and inspire you. The TED app has over 2,000 informative and inspiring TED Talks that cover a myriad of topics and can help you experience new ways of thinking. Share, download, or customize a playlist which highlights the top tips for young marketers while hearing from leading industry professionals, remarkable minds, and some of the world’s most renowned thought leaders!
Whether you’re intrigued by an article or motivated by a speaker, it is important to learn beyond the pages of a textbook to stay connected with today’s business environment. Consider taking a few minutes to follow these apps, get inspired by creative ideas, and stay up-to-date on the must-knows of modern marketing!
Jaclyn is heading into her second year at the Smith School of Business in Kingston, ON. Beginning her QMA career as a Frosh Rep, Jaclyn is ecstatic to be joining the 2017 team as a Speakers Coordinator! Born and raised in Toronto, Jaclyn grew up dancing competitively and playing sports. She has a passion for marketing and a strong desire to learn, and she is excited to conquer whatever challenges come her way.